Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Petrol Station

This project was a real first for me. The commission was to produce a petrol station for 28mm zombie/post apocalyptic gaming. The base was to be no bigger than 30cm x 30cm and I had a few photos of actual stations to use as a reference.
The photo that hit the spot for me was this one
I loved the Shell 'fin' coming out of the shop so I thought that would be the centre point of the whole thing. I was in danger of making something a little flat and uninteresting if I wasn't careful and this fin solved that problem for me.
The next thing I needed was petrol pumps and I couldn't find any anywhere that I thought was suitable so I got them made by my lase cutting friend, Andy Slater. He was able to make four for me in Shell colours and they looked great.
As I was making a Shell station I needed the Shell logo recreated and again Andy came to the rescue with a couple of Shell logos laser cut for me along with the SHELL letters.
I now had pretty much everything in place to begin and it didn't take me long to come up with the finished item-




You can see how well the pumps came out. The broken concrete floor is made from cork sheet that I tear and ends up looking just like cracked concrete.
I was pleased how the red fin did make all the difference and I was very glad I saw it on the photos.
The final touches with the weathering finished it off and gives it the feel of a deserted station ready to be fought over by a pack of marauding zombies.

5 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laser cut stuff, especially the Shell logo really makes it I think.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually a very impressive piece of modelling. I think you've managed the colours of the concrete etc very well too..... what's your sectret?

    Looking forward to seeing it swarming with the undead :O)

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome David, kinda neat to see something different then the war stuff, (not that I mind the war stuff lol!!) again great work...Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laser Cutting : You may have found the cheapest supplier but it's important to ensure they have the correct quality policies in place prior to you placing the work. Ask the supplier to provide you with some product samples or place them on a months trial so you can ascertain the quality of their product.

    ReplyDelete