Wednesday 20 February 2013

Normandy Village Part 9

There is still plenty of time to Salute (I wish) so starting the last module for the Normandy village at the beginning of February showed far too much forward planning. The whole game will be at Salute and will be show casing my work along with figure painting by Artmaster and AFV model making and painting by Troop of Shrew.
This last module is a row of houses to go at the end of the village, backing onto some hedges. The plan was as on this sketch:
The front of the base is curved to give a curved road when placed on top of a cobbled area. The base is made up of five small houses with back yards. Non of them needed to be higher than 2 floors and the two on the right needed to be ruined.
I first of all designed and cut out the fronts of the houses. I used 5mm thick foam board for most of it except for the ruined walls where I used 10mm thick foam board. I have some resin pieces that I had made of ruined wall that are 10mm thick so I needed the base wall to be the same thickness.
Once I had the designs cut out I then ruined the two that needed to show battle damage.
I then repeated the process for the backs and sides of the houses and then glued it all together and added the resin bits of damaged wall.

You can see that I had also added the windows at this stage. They are laser cut 1mm mdf that I have used on the previous Normandy modules.
The ruined bits of resin wall have been one of my favourite bits of resin I had made. I find them extremely useful and the effect is just what I am looking for. They look a bit odd in the above shots as you can see the join but it gets better.
The pavement was tackled next with textured plasticard with the edges covered in masking tape. I use the biggest sheets I can find to reduce the joins.
Once that had dried I started to render it with interior filler. It goes on easily and you can mix how much you like to the consistency you like.

The interior filler doesn't warp the foam board so I find you don't need to brace the walls with internal supports unlike when using Daz Pronto clay which save a a bit of time.
The next thing I did was to add internal walls and floors into the buildings that weren't damaged. The floors were necessary for putting in figures when playing but I add the walls to stop you being able to look through the house to the back. It seems to me to be very rare for you to be able to do that in reality so by stopping it happening in the model just helps making it look more real.
I also add floors and walls to the ruined buildings. The floors are planked as you will be able to see them. Before I do the second floor I add wall paper to the ground floor. This seems to catch the eye and just gives the whole thing a bit of colour.

The upper floors of the ruined sections I plaster as it helps cover up the joins with the resin bits and when painted makes it look really damaged.
Once that had dried I added more detail on the outside of the houses including shutters and drain pipes.
The final job that I completed this afternoon was to add the back yard walls.
I used 10mm foam board to make them look substantial.
I still have a bit of model making to do- adding the back yard ground work, texturing the yard walls, the roofs and adding general debris to the ruins. Once all that is done all that is left is to paint it.
The plan is completion by the end of February.











3 comments:

  1. Really like your buildings. Question- Do you plaster the exposed 5mm on the top of the walls. The area that has the exposed foam?

    ReplyDelete